|Match this cake with your favorite ice cream or fresh fruit|
Here is a tasty variation to the traditional shortcake. This cake is quick to put together and has endless possibilities for dessert. Match it with your favourite fruit or ice cream and your guests will love you.
You can also add flavourings while mixing the cake such as zest from a lemon, orange or fresh ginger to give the cake an added taste bonus.
This recipe makes enough to serve 6 or more people. Use a large round cake pan to bake it in.
200 grams flour (sifted)
60 grams cornstarch
zest of 1 lemon
1 pinch ginger powder
200 grams sugar
1 pinch of saffron powder
1. Prepare the baking pan by coating it with butter. Generously sprinkle granular sugar around the pan.
2. Break the eggs into two separate large bowls. Add 150 grams of sugar to the egg yolks and mix until they are yellow & fluffy. Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water to warm it lightly to help whip the yolks.
3. Add in 100 grams flour, 30 grams starch, lemon zest & spices to #1 and mix with a small whisk.
4. Whip the eggs and gradually add the remaining sugar (50 grams) and until soft peaks form. Add in the remaining cornstarch. Add in 100 grams of flour and mix with a spatula.
5. Add the egg whites to the yolk mixture and mix well with a spatula.
6. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 – 25 minutes depending on the size of your pan.
7. After the cake cools, remove from the pan.
50 grams powdered sugar
juice from half a lemon
1. Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Adjust either so that consistency is not too wet or dry. It should pour on the cake smoothly but not like water.
2. Put in the oven at 160 degrees Celsius for about 6 – 10 minutes to lightly heat the icing.
Cool & serve with your favourite toppings.
|Dessert is ready!!|