This bread is very hearty and can make a full meal by just adding a soup and salad. The cheddar cheese and bacon are a delicious combination for an evening meal or lunch.
525 grams bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
370 grams water
150 grams grated red cheddar cheese
100 grams bacon (diced and fried, remove extra grease by draining on a paper towel)
15 grams butter (room temperature)
1. Combine flour, salt and yeast in a bowl and use a small whisk to mix together well.
2. Pour the water over the flour mixture in portions and use a spatula or bench scraper to mix together. After everything is mixed, place on a flat surface and knead together for about 5 – 10 minutes until the dough is soft. Dough should be soft but not sticky. Let rest under a bowl for about 10 minutes.
3. Lightly warm the butter in your hands and then put on top of the dough and use a bench scraper to incorporate the butter. Knead again so that the bread is soft & supple. If tough, add a tablespoon or so of water and knead again. Add in the cheddar cheese and bacon. Roll into a well formed ball and put in a bowl and cover with wrap. Let rise in warm place for 60 minutes.
4. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, each with the same weight. Roll each piece into a nice ball. Place on the kneading board and cover with plastic and let rise for 20 minutes (bench time).
5. Flatten each ball to remove the air and roll again into a ball. Place in the bread tin and brush with egg. Place in a warm place. Should rise again for about 60 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Brush again with egg and bake for about 50 minutes. Cover with foil half way through if the top is getting too browned.