Roll cakes are very popular in Japan. There are many different types of filling such as plain cream, green tea flavored cream, chocolate, etc. Roll cakes are usually standard items in a bakery.
This roll cake is decorated with cherry blossom flowers. The technique for making the decoration is easy – use your imagination to create a design to match the season – flowers, leaves, animals, etc.
You could also add a little cocoa to the batter for Halloween and draw pumpkins, etc.
10 grams soft butter
10 grams powdered sugar sifted
10 grams egg white
10 grams flour sifted
1. Whisk the butter and the powdered sugar, add the egg white then add the flour. Add coloring.
2. Draw your design on a sheet of paper and place under the parchment paper.
3. Put each color into a separate bag for piping. Your lines should be thin but not too thin, otherwise, they will not show up well after baking.
4. Put this in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes so that the mixture becomes firm.
I use a shallow square baking pan (27 cm x 27 cm – height is 2 cm) covered with parchment paper to pipe the decoration on. The recipe below is enough for 2 pans.
5 egg yolks
60 grams flour
10 grams cornstarch
Butter 45 grams
70 grams milk
100 grams sugar
Cornstarch 5 grams
1. In a bowl, sift the flour and cornstarch together.
2. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the flour/cornstarch mixture. Mix with whisk.
3. Put #2 above into a bowl, add in the 1 egg & egg yolks (in portions). Add milk.
4. Whip the egg whites until stiff – add the sugar in portions while mixing. Add the 5 grams cornstarch at the end.
5. Mix the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture mixture.
6. Pour on top of the parchment paper you decorated. Spread evenly. Tap it on the table to remove air bubbles.
7. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes. Do not over bake or the cake will not be soft enough to roll.
Milk 300 grams
Egg yolks 4
Granular sugar 75 grams
Flour 20 grams
Cornstarch 9 grams
Butter 20 grams
Gelatin 3 grams (soften in water and drain the water)
Kirsch liquor – 1 teaspoon
Fresh cream 100 grams
1. Heat the milk in small saucepan until just boiling.
2. Combine the egg yolks & granular sugar in a bowl and mix well. Sift the flour and add to the egg yolk mixture.
3. Pour the warm milk into the egg mixture. Pour back into the pan and strain while pouring.
4. Heat until it becomes thickened. Use a whisk to mix
5. Remove the milk mixture from the heat and add the gelatin then the butter. Mix well to remove any lumps.
6. Pour into a bowl and cool. Add the Kirsch.
7. Whip the fresh cream until a little stiff and add to the cream (#6 above).
To save time, you can use powdered custard cream.
1. Cut fruit such as strawberry, bananas or kiwi cut into small pieces (optional).
2. Remove the cake from the cooking pan and remove the parchment paper. Use a clean sheet of parchment paper and put the cake on it.
3. Spread the cream on the sponge cake evenly with a palette knife.
4. Put fruit on the cake in horizontal lines.
5. Start from one end & roll the cake carefully to keep a good shape. Put in plastic wrap and refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving.