Looking forward to the fall and cool weahther. This summer Japan is having it’s worst heat wave in years. I’m in the kitchen baking and it is 36 degrees Celsius/98 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The air conditioner is competing with the oven and I am spending most of the day drinking iced coffee.
In the upper right corner of the photo is a savoury caked baked in a regular pound cake pan. This is a ‘go to’ recipe for me for light lunches. This cake is not sweet but is made with flour, eggs, olive oil and savoury items such as black olives, bacon, vegetables like zucchini, minced carrots, etc. Pair this with a hearty soup and a salad and you have the perfect lunch.
Cake Salé Recipe
150 grams flour
50 grams olive oil
150 grams milk
8 grams baking powder
1 teaspoon basil paste
30 black olives chopped
50 grams diced ham
50 grams cooked & chopped vegetables such as zucchini, carrots, etc.
20 grams powdered cheese such as Parmesan
1. Prepare a pound cake pan by lightly coating with butter and flour.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, mix the eggs, milk, olive oil and basil paste together with a small whisk. Add the flour in portions and continue to mix with the whisk.
4. Lastly, add the olives, ham, vegetables and powdered cheese.
5. Pour into the mixture into the pound cake pan and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 – 35 minutes. Test if completely baked by inserting a tooth pick.
6. After removing from the oven let sit in the pan for about 10 minutes and then remove it to cool completely.